Monday, February 2, 2015

February Seeding - The Great Planting is Upon Us!

I wasn't going to do a blog post in February with all the pressures of work and school, but after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that it's a fantastic opportunity as we are at the beginning of the gardening year for zone 8 and just a little into the actual calendar year.

The garden is looking pretty drab in February, lots of plant remnants from last year are busily decomposing in the planter boxes, we have lots of rain and chilly weather but thankfully no snow. For me, January is the time I plan my garden for the year and take into consider my plant rotation. For example, I know that three of my beds had beans in them last year which means those beds are going to be nitrogen rich and just about anything I plant in there is going to grow very well. I also know that in my salad beds and root beds, I need to replenish the soil with nitrogen rich plants, or in the very least I need to throw in a good amount of compost (really this should be done every year) and turn the beds. However, February is the time I start seeding both indoors and out!

There are a few plants that can already be sown directly into the soil in zone 8 (coastal pacific northwest), for me these will be my broad beans and my poppies. I've never grown either before and am really looking forward to seeing what happens!

My broad beans are an organic variety from West Coast Seeds called Windsor, I should be enjoying the bounty in late April or early May. Broad beans are fantastic at fixing nitrogen into the soil (they are going into a part of last years tomato box) and are delicious and creamy in texture. These bean types can be made into delicious falafels! Broad beans are very hardy and have a firm stock, they do not need a lot of support, but if they grow too tall, a bit of a cross bar is nice.

My other direct sow seeds this year are poppy. Specifically Red European Poppy (Papaver rhoeas) and California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica), the red poppy is going in because it reminds me of the gardens I used to see in Slovakia, and for its medicinal values. The California poppy because it is also a medicinal plant used in herbal medicine;  I would like very much to grow both from seed, witness their full growth cycle and then harvest and compound the herbs into a medicinal formula. My poppy seeds were gathered on a few nature walks in late July and from a few unknowing neighbors.


Red European Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
 
 
Parts Used: Petals
Petals should be collected on a dry morning after the dew has dried in the months of July and August, they will need to be dried carefully.
Main Constituents: Tannins, Mucilage, Traces of Alkaloids
Medicinal Actions: Sedative and Expectorant
Indications: This herb does not hold the same sedative properties as the opium poppy (which is illegal, do not use). It may be used to soothe an irritable cough and in cases of respiratory catarrh. The petals are often added to herbal teas and potpourris, and for color.
Safety Concern: Due to the presence of tannins, long term use of this herb should be avoided
 
 California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)

 
 
Parts Used: Whole Plant
Main Constituents: Flavone Glycosides
Medicinal Actions: Hypnotic, Sedative, Nerve Relaxant, Anodyne
Indications: Insomnia, Migraine, Stress, Nervous Bowel, Anxiety, Depression, Neuralgia.
Combines well with Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnata) for hyperactivity and sleeplessness.
Safety Concerns: This plant should only be distributed by a Medical Herbalist. Avoid self dosing.
 
 
Both varieties like to be sown directly into cold soil, generally this is done in the fall, but can also be done in the early spring. To sow poppies, simply find a piece of well drained soil that is full sun or partial shade (mine was the boulevard at the far side of the yard). Turn the soil and rake it, apply seeds liberally by scattering with fingertips and cover loosely. If its recently rained, no point in watering. Remember, these seeds like to be at the surface, so once you have scattered, cover them lightly. It will be 2 to 3 weeks before they start appearing, and once they are a few inches tall they will need to be thinned to allow 9 to 10 inches between plants.
 
Happy Gardening!
- Nicey
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment